The Shingle House Renovation Project

The Shingle House on Forester Avenue at Church St. is the oldest standing house in the Village. Daniel Burt built this New England saltbox in 1764 for his son. Legend has it that the shingles for the sides and roof of this house were hewn from a single tree. The building was the first to be acquired by the Historical Society in 1915 and houses a collection of period furniture and accessories.  Spring 2014 marks the start of a major restoration project to bring this structure back to its original condition.

The Society also has plans to create a courtyard in between the four adjacent historical buildings on Forester for tourists to enjoy.

Bookmark this page to enjoy the progress being made on the restoration through photos by professional photographer, Steve Belner of Photovisions.

Shingle House

Donations gratefully accepted.