1812 the Merritt’s Island Turnpike Company was incorporated (and more)

Posted by on Jun 4, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In 1812 the Merritt’s Island Turnpike Company was incorporated with capital stock of $10,000. The incorporators were John Wheeler, William Thompson, Joshua Sayre, George D. Wickham, Michael A. Jones, Robert Ferrier, Moses Wisner and associates. The line of the road began “on the east side of the ‘drowned lands’, in the Town of Warwick,” ran thence to Pine Island, thence to Pochuck Creek near the house of Moses Wisner, from there to Merritt’s island, and then across the Wallkill to the mainland on the west side of the “drowned lands”, in lot #4 in the first division of the “drowned Lands.”

This has been taken from an Orange County history.