1876 Hazen House,1924 Greck’s Maplewood Inn — Today, Anton’s on the Lake!

Posted by on Oct 23, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In 1976, the main building of Greck’s Maplewood Inn celebrated 100 years as a resort hotel on Greenwood Lake. The land was bought by Charles Hazen in 1873 from Solomon Caldwell. In 1876, Mr. Hazen opened the Hazen House, and guests were transported from the Sterling Forest railroad station by the Monticlair steamboat.

Charles and Wallburga Greck bought the hotel and restaurant in 1924 from Bill Hall’s family. The Grecks and their children, Charles, Teddy, Josie, Rae, and Bert moved into the original building, which now had an open porch surrounding it. The barn on the property had wooded pegs instead of nails, and the stone ice house still contained the original ice cutting tools.

Teddy’s daughter, Doris, took over the business in 1963, and the original building had been well preserved with many antiques scattered throughout the dining room. In 1964, the lantern porch was built, and Doris Greck Martin and her daughter, Sally Jo, run the oldest continuing resort business in Greenwood Lake.

The attached picture is of Greck’s Maplewood Inn currently Anton’s on the Lake.

Photo: "Warwick in History" - In 1976, the main building of Greck's Maplewood Inn celebrated 100 years as a resort hotel on Greenwood Lake.  The land was bought by Charles Hazen in 1873 from Solomon Caldwell.  In 1876, Mr. Hazen opened the Hazen House, and guests were transported from the Sterling Forest railroad station by the Monticlair steamboat.

Charles and Wallburga Greck bought the hotel and restaurant in 1924 from Bill Hall's family.  The Grecks and their children, Charles, Teddy, Josie, Rae, and Bert moved into the original building, which now had an open porch surrounding it.  The barn on the property had wooded pegs instead of nails, and the stone ice house still contained the original ice cutting tools.

Teddy's daughter, Doris, took over the business in 1963, and the original building had been well preserved with many antiques scattered throughout the dining room.  In 1964, the lantern porch was built, and Doris Greck Martin and her daughter, Sally Jo, run the oldest continuing resort business in Greenwood Lake.

The attached picture is of Greck's Maplewood Inn currently Anton's on the Lake.