1885 -Highland Engine Company No. 3 – Florida, NY

Posted by on Jun 11, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In the year of 1885 the Highland Engine Company No. 3 was formed in the hamlet of Florida. There were seventeen members at that time, compared to the active roll in 1976 of 75 men.

The first fire equipment used consisted of a dozen pails, some ice pike poles used to pull or push over burning walls, some axes, crowbars, and some lanterns.

In the year 1887, the company purchased a twenty-manpower force pump from the Highland Engine and Hose Co. No. 3 of the City of Newburgh. This could be drawn either by a team of horses or by hand. One condition of the sale was that the Florida Fire Company take the name of Highland Engine Co. No. 3, and so an application was drawn and sent to Albany incorporating the company as the Highland Engine and Hose Co. No. 3 of the Hamlet of Florida.

Owing to its large membership, its four pieces of equipment, and its morale, this company has grown so that it is now known as the Florida Fire Department.