1891 – Warwick Plans for a New School Building — 469 Students in the District

Posted by on Jul 23, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – On October 14, 1891, a special meeting of the Warwick Board of Education was held to inspect plans for a new school building, since over 469 students now made up the school district and present housing was inadequate.

On the following July 22, 1892, a 99 year lease with the Old School Baptist Church was signed at a per annum cost of $25 for the site of the new school. This was across the street from the Meeting House toward forester Avenue. Mr. H. C. Pelton was hired as architect, only to be subsequently fired by the board when his plans did not meet with board approval. Trustees Sanford, Tate, and Cary were appointed in charge of bids and notices.

This building later became known as the Old High Street School.”Warwick in History” – On October 14, 1891, a special meeting of the Warwick Board of Education was held to inspect plans for a new school building, since over 469 students now made up the school district and present housing was inadequate.

On the following July 22, 1892, a 99 year lease with the Old School Baptist Church was signed at a per annum cost of $25 for the site of the new school. This was across the street from the Meeting House toward forester Avenue. Mr. H. C. Pelton was hired as architect, only to be subsequently fired by the board when his plans did not meet with board approval. Trustees Sanford, Tate, and Cary were appointed in charge of bids and notices.

This building later became known as the Old High Street School.