In 1921, “Sherwood” or Sherwood Hall, was opened high in the hills of Warwick (more…)

Posted by on Sep 28, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In 1921, “Sherwood” or Sherwood Hall, was opened high in the hills of Warwick and more than two miles from the village by the New York Telephone Company. The former McBurney property, including the house called the Lodge, and additional land, provided a place for rest and recreation for the company’s girl employees from all over the state.

In 1924, the East House was completed and the West House in 1926. About 110 convalescent girls could be accommodated, staying two to eight weeks.

Additionally, Camp Sherwood with a large central building, sleeping cabins, recreation hall, and swimming pool served as a place for employees’ summer recreation.

The same attractive spot, with its magnificent view across the Warwick Valley to the Shawangunk Mountains, is still, in 1976, affording rest and relaxation for many people who visit the Conference Center of the Reformed Church of America.