1939 the First Patient is Admitted to St. Anthony’s Hospital

Posted by on May 17, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – On this day in 1939 the first patient was admitted to St. Anthony’s Hospital. She was Frances Sadlock of Pine Island, the housekeeper of Father Felczak.

The four-story brick addition to the old J. C. Babcock home on Maple Avenue, which had been purchased in 1937 by the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor, had been completed. The dedication of the new hospital had taken place t…he day before.
On May 19 Dr. Arnold Bockar performed the first operation on a infant. Three operations were performed on June 26.

The chief of medicine and obstetrics was Dr. Harry C. Sayre Sr. and of surgery, Dr. M. Renfrew Bradner Sr. The Warwick attending associates included Dr. J. S. Cummins, Dr. George Gould, Dr. Arnold Bockar, and Dr. Glenn Smith.

Assistants in surgery in Warwick were Dr. Gould and Dr. Bockar. There were doctors from Chester, Middletown, Goshen, Tuxedo, Monroe, and Florida, and other towns, who were also members of the attending staff. Today (1976) there are three sons of the doctors who were on that early staff — Dr. Harry C. Sayre Jr., Dr. M. Renfrew Bradner Jr., and Dr. Gerard M. Freisinger.. She was Frances Sadlock of Pine Island, the housekeeper of Father Felczak.

The four-story brick addition to the old J. C. Babcock home on Maple Avenue, which had been purchased in 1937 by the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor, had been completed. The dedication of the new hospital had taken place t…he day before.
On May 19 Dr. Arnold Bockar performed the first operation on a infant. Three operations were performed on June 26.

The chief of medicine and obstetrics was Dr. Harry C. Sayre Sr. and of surgery, Dr. M. Renfrew Bradner Sr. The Warwick attending associates included Dr. J. S. Cummins, Dr. George Gould, Dr. Arnold Bockar, and Dr. Glenn Smith.

Assistants in surgery in Warwick were Dr. Gould and Dr. Bockar. There were doctors from Chester, Middletown, Goshen, Tuxedo, Monroe, and Florida, and other towns, who were also members of the attending staff. Today (1976) there are three sons of the doctors who were on that early staff — Dr. Harry C. Sayre Jr., Dr. M. Renfrew Bradner Jr., and Dr. Gerard M. Freisinger.