Posts made in May, 2013

First Sermon Preached at the Old School Baptist Meeting House on May 9, 1811

Posted by on May 9, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – On May 9 in 1811 the first sermon was preached in the present Old School Baptist Meeting House in Warwick by Elder Lebbeus Lathrop. The meeting house had just been completed. Elder Lathrop had been called to Warwick in 1802 when the church had 128 members. While he was pastor, the church which had been founded in 1764, knew great prosperity. It had been built because the old meeting house had become too small for all the people the tide of immigration had brought to Warwick. Stephan Burt of Bellvale and Benjamin Sayer helped in preparing materials to...

Read More

The first settlers in the Pine Island area found a tribe of Amerindians (more)

Posted by on May 8, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | Comments Off on The first settlers in the Pine Island area found a tribe of Amerindians (more)

“Warwick in History” – The first settlers in the Pine Island area found a tribe of Amerindians, the Leni Lenapes of the Delaware Tribe, who had lived here for 40,000 years. The old Algonquins, of whom they were a part, traded with the Indians from the West, whence they had come. The largest of these small villages was called Minsi-Kanahena, meaning “where they grow corn for meal”. They hunted and fished along the Wallkill River, ducks and geese came to the marshlands by the millions. Black loam soil bordered many of their villages. It was fertile country for...

Read More

Passenger trains commenced running to Pine Island, (more)

Posted by on May 7, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | Comments Off on Passenger trains commenced running to Pine Island, (more)

“Warwick in History” – Passenger trains commenced running to Pine Island, the terminus of the Warwick Valley Branch of the Erie Railway, in 1869. This station’s business turned out to be of considerable importance to the surrounding county, in that it served for milk shipments, and general freight and passenger business. The first business that we know of in Pine Island was the store Judge Bradner opened here in 1820, together with Sandy Baron. Other businesses followed and included a hotel run by Gabriel Carlin, a general store run by Charles H. Woolsey, and the...

Read More

The Queen Village Queens make their first appearance.(more)

Posted by on May 6, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | Comments Off on The Queen Village Queens make their first appearance.(more)

“Warwick in History” – According to THE WARWICK ADVERTISER of May 4, 1962, on Sunday May 6, The Queen Village Queens would make their first appearance. They would take to the streets in white shorts and sweat shirts and with their newly-acquired, sparkling silver drums. Without the generous contributions of individuals, businessmen, and organizations throughout the Queen Village area, the Queens could not have developed so rapidly, and it has been a delight to watch them become a corps. On Memorial Day they will parade in full uniform with their ten-girl color guard. The...

Read More

In 1867 Cornelius Jones Lazear and Walter Knapp formed a partnership and opened an undertaking and funeral business.(more)

Posted by on May 3, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | Comments Off on In 1867 Cornelius Jones Lazear and Walter Knapp formed a partnership and opened an undertaking and funeral business.(more)

“Warwick in History” – In 1867 Cornelius Jones Lazear and Walter Knapp formed a partnership and opened an undertaking and funeral business. Mr. Lazear purchased Mr. Knapp’s share five years later. In 1876, 100 years ago, the store building at 11 West Street was built. The Lazear family resided next door. The store also carried furniture, and the caskets were handmade with power from Warwick Cr…eek. The Lazears purchased the first motorized hearse in Orange County. The furniture era in the Lazear family ended when the buildings on West Street were purchased by...

Read More