Posts made in June, 2013

1885 -Highland Engine Company No. 3 – Florida, NY

Posted by on Jun 11, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In the year of 1885 the Highland Engine Company No. 3 was formed in the hamlet of Florida. There were seventeen members at that time, compared to the active roll in 1976 of 75 men. The first fire equipment used consisted of a dozen pails, some ice pike poles used to pull or push over burning walls, some axes, crowbars, and some lanterns. In the year 1887, the company purchased a twenty-manpower force pump from the Highland Engine and Hose Co. No. 3 of the City of Newburgh. This could be drawn either by a team of horses or by hand. One condition of the...

Read More

Congratulations! On this day in 1938 ground was broken for St. Anthony’s Hospital.

Posted by on Jun 7, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – On this day in 1938 ground was broken for St. Anthony’s Hospital. The Franciscan Sisters of the Poor, who had been in Warwick since 1925 working with the poor and hoping to have a hospital where their work could be carried on, purchased the J. C. Babcock home on Maple Avenue in June of 1937. This spacious residence called “Arches”, had been built in 1892 by Grinnell Burt, first president of the Lehigh and Hudson River Railway Company. Working with area doctors just before 1938, the sisters initiated plans for a four-story patient...

Read More

First Church Building Erected in the Village – 1854

Posted by on Jun 6, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The following was taken from THE RISING STAR published in Bellvale in 1889: The first Methodist Church organization here was a class in connection with the New Windsor Circuit, in 1809. Meetings were held at William Wisner’s and Ananias Wilson’s, and afterwards in the upper part of the schoolhouse known as the “tabernacle.” The first church edifice which adorned our village was erected in 1853 and dedicated in 1854. The following were the trustees: Colvin Bradner, Townsend Wright, Samuel Wilson, William H. Wisner, Benjamin H....

Read More

June, 1942, the Warwick Community Ambulance Service, Inc. was formed.

Posted by on Jun 5, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – June, 1942, the Warwick Community Ambulance Service, Inc. was formed. To man the service and equipment, 40 trained volunteers are on call 24 hours a day, everyday of the year, for emergency and transportation service. These men and women have been trained through American Red Cross standard and advanced first-aid courses, and kept up-to-date by review courses and training sessions. The training is supplemented by lectures given by local physicians. Several of the original members were still active after 25 years of service in 1976. In 1963 a new...

Read More

Wine, Cheese & Jazz 2013 — List of Cheeses Served

Posted by on Jun 5, 2013 in All Event Postings, News and Press | 0 comments

So many of you have asked for a list of the various cheeses served at the Buckbee Center at our Wine, Cheese & Jazz evening. Purchased at the Paramus Fairway Market they are as follows: Guffanti Rocchetta – From the Piedmont of Italy, made with 3 pasteurized milks. Soft, smooth, earthy. 2006 Outstanding Cheese winner. L’ami Du Chambertin – From Brochon, France near Gevrey Chambertin. Rind is washed in Marc De Bourgogne. Strong smelling, rich, lush cheese. Chabriou Petit Chevre – Pasteurized goat’s milk from the Pyrenee region. Aged 2 months. Sapore Del Piave – Creamy, nutty cow’s milk...

Read More