Posts made in July, 2013

1891 – Warwick Plans for a New School Building — 469 Students in the District

Posted by on Jul 23, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – On October 14, 1891, a special meeting of the Warwick Board of Education was held to inspect plans for a new school building, since over 469 students now made up the school district and present housing was inadequate. On the following July 22, 1892, a 99 year lease with the Old School Baptist Church was signed at a per annum cost of $25 for the site of the new school. This was across the street from the Meeting House toward forester Avenue. Mr. H. C. Pelton was hired as architect, only to be subsequently fired by the board when his plans did not meet...

Read More

Fire Police of Warwick -1939

Posted by on Jul 22, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The Fire Police of Warwick were first formally organized in the early summer of 1939. A member of the fire police is usually a seasoned veteran of many fires and emergencies, and knows the “ins and outs” of fire fighting. When the alarm sounds or the chief declares an emergency, they become peace officers under New York State Law and act under the direction of the chief or the line officers. The fire police take positions at corners and intersections to insure the rapid and safe response to fire or other emergency. A vital point to...

Read More

George Washington Day Picnic is being held on Saturday, July 27th in Lewis Park (and more)

Posted by on Jul 19, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The Historical Society of the Town of Warwick observed the anniversary of Washington’s visit to Warwick in July of 1917 by raising a flag on the grounds of the Old Shingle House on Forester Avenue. The flag was a gift of Mr. William B. Sayer. While the Star Spangled Banner was being sung, Miss Genevieve VanDuzer, a grand niece of the donor, raised the flag to its place. A detachment of men from the Home Defense Corps, under Captain Edwin F. Still, attended and gave the new flag its first salute. The invocation by the Rev. William M. Pickslay,...

Read More

The Goodwill Band was organized at the rooms of the Goodwill Hook and Ladder Company on July 18, 1895. (more)

Posted by on Jul 18, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – No historic sketch of the Queen Village would be complete without at least some little reference to its band. The Goodwill Band was organized at the rooms of the Goodwill Hook and Ladder Company on July 18, 1895. it seems to have taken the name from the Goodwill Hook and Ladder Company, but it was not the first band in the Town of Warwick. There had been others off and on, for more than 80 years before this date and there have been others since. R. S. Hoyt was leader; E. M. Hogan, manager; Thomas Smith, secretary and treasurer. Other members were H....

Read More

The Arrow Five – Local Basketball Team (1923-1924)

Posted by on Jul 17, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – As some of you may remember, back in 1923-1924 a local basketball team used to play their games in the back of the old Y.M.C.A. Called the Arrow Five, the players were: Art beckert, Tanky Hall, Ed Kane, Bill Thomas, Bill Blythe, Chet O’Dell, Bill Miller, Clint Zimmer, and Happy Hayes. One of their biggest events was when they played the world champions called the Paterson Legionaires. A special train was run from Warwick to Middletown for the game. The team was managed by Charles Kelly and coached by Leo Davenport. The building, located on the...

Read More