Posts made in July, 2013

“Ye Gentlemen of Warwick” (and more)

Posted by on Jul 17, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The following was taken from the DIRECTORY AND SOUVENIR BOOK OF WARWICK published in 1896 entitled “Ye Gentlemen of Warwick.” Away back among the hills of old Orange County is settled the beautiful villa of Warwick, the seat and heart of God’s noblest production – man. It would hardly be proper to publish a book devoted to showing forth the beauties of this village, without a short article devoted to the holding up before an admiring, awestruck public, the handsome, intellectual and ambitious men of Warwick. This, the...

Read More

Warwick has Two Weekly Newspapers as of 1885

Posted by on Jul 15, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The beautiful Village of Warwick, the Queen Village of New York State, has two well established, ably edited, well-printed, and influential weekly newspapers which reflect, with no exaggeration, the sentiment and conditions of the Warwick Valley. So said the HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY in 1908. The third paper to make its appearance in Warwick was THE WARWICK VALLEY DISPATCH, which has been a success from its start. It was established in June of 1885 by George F. Ketchum, who had been its fearless editor and publisher. The paper has been a leader in all...

Read More

Antique Car Club Visits Warwick

Posted by on Jul 15, 2013 in All Event Postings, News and Press | 0 comments

Antique Car Club Visits Warwick

This Wednesday, around noon, there will be a display of antique cars in Lewis Park. Don’t miss this opportunity to meet and greet the members of the antique car club. Their commitment to preserving the past in transportation and driving home the importance of their work is impressive. Take the time to welcome them to Warwick and share their...

Read More

The Warwick Athletic Association (more)

Posted by on Jul 11, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The Warwick Athletic Association, or Gymnasium as it was popularly called, on July 25, 1888, decided to organize a baseball club. They used a small room over Ermann’s Cigar store as their meeting room with a membership of twenty.In 1889 a building back of the old Welling Hotel, just off main Street, was built. part of the building was used by the Warwick Book Club, with one half of the first floor being devoted to gymnasium apparatus and a stage for home entertainments. The other half, devoted to billiards and pool, was equipped with two tables...

Read More

Merritt’s Island Homestead, owned and operated by Smith G. Wilcox of Pine Island (more)

Posted by on Jul 10, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The following was taken from a brochure advertising Merritt’s Island Homestead, owned and operated by Smith G. Wilcox of Pine Island. A pleasant resting place where you can get back to the simple life and have the best food to eat. Home-made bread and butter, buttermilk, fresh milk and cream, home fatted veal, and Armour’s choicest cuts of meats. Fine spring water, fresh vegetables and fruits in season. Strictly fresh eggs and chickens from our own poultry yards. All cooking under the direct personal supervision of Mrs. Wilcox. Bathrooms...

Read More