Posts made in July, 2013

Passenger Transportation on L & H from Warwick was Discontinued in 1939

Posted by on Jul 9, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The last passenger train of the Lehigh and Hudson River Railway Company made a run from Warwick to Greycourt on July 9, 1939. Passengers had been transported over the railroad for many years. the L & H connected with the Erie at Greycourt where passengers could then go to New York or to points west. The passenger revenue, however, accounted for a relatively small proportion of the railroad’s gross income, as it traversed an agricultural region and passed through no cities. The passenger traffic had reached its peak in the years 1912-1916....

Read More

Village of Warwick had its second organized library in 1875 (more)

Posted by on Jul 8, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – One hundred years ago in 1875 the Village of Warwick had its second organized library. The local Y.M.C.A. was its sponsor. The collection in 1907 consisted of more than 1200 volumes. The reading room was located in the Y.M.C.A. Building, which is now the Historical Society’s 1810 House on Main Street and presently a Historical Building. By the beginning of World War I the library was no longer serving the village. As early as 1814 the first library in Warwick was begun. A private collection of books was purchased and circulated by the Warwick...

Read More

The Red Swan in opened July 5, 1901 (and more)

Posted by on Jul 8, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The Red Swan Inn opened in Warwick on this day (July 5th)  in 1901. It stood on Oakland Avenue, where the entrance of the country club now is located.  In 1900 Mayor Clinton Wisner had formed a stock company of Warwick men to build an inn. Mayor Wisner, an architect, designed the Red Swan, described by an important guest in 1912 as a “gem” and the nicest hotel in the country. People visiting at the inn came to Warwick by train with many men commuting while their families summered here. In a later brochure, the Red Swan was described as a...

Read More

Warwick Library chartered in 1924

Posted by on Jul 2, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The Albert Wisner Memorial Library in Warwick, an association library and chartered in 1924 as a privately endowed library, became the Albert Wisner Public Library on July 1, 1974. Charter day was celebrated by members of the community who visited the library for a ceremony presenting the new charter. Mrs. Patricia Schmotter was the new professional director. The change was the result of an overwhelmingly large vote by the citizens of the school district to have a school district public library in October of 1973. They also voted for a budget of...

Read More

The Rev. Taber Knox resigned as pastor of the Warwick Reformed Church after a half century as pastor.

Posted by on Jul 1, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The Rev. Taber Knox resigned as pastor of the Warwick Reformed Church on this day in 1944. His period of service for 50 years was the longest in the history of the church. He had preached his first sermon in Warwick in 1894. the Rev. Mr. Knox’s keen civic interest in Warwick was shown in his activities throughout the years in the community. He had organized the first Boy Scout Troop in Warwick in 1914 and served as its scoutmaster. He formed a weekday church school in 1923 in order that children not reached by Sunday school might receive...

Read More