Posts made in August, 2013

The Historical Society of the Town of Warwick — Seal by Ames & Rollinson

Posted by on Aug 5, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The seal of the Historical Society of the Town of Warwick was designed by Ames & Rollinson of New York City from photographs furnished by the committee of the society. It was the aim of the society to assemble some of the characteristic features of the Town of Warwick and perpetuate them in the seal. In the foreground is the familiar Wawayanda Creek spanned by the Old Stone Bridge, which gave its name for more than two generations to that locality. The bridge was built in 1835 and stones used in the construction of the bridge were taken from what...

Read More

Amity Fire Company and Pulaski Fire Company

Posted by on Aug 2, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In August of 1947, the Amity Fire Company was organized. In September of that same year it was incorporated, to become the Amity Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. With their fellow company of Pine Island, they make up the Pine Island Fire District. The membership in 1976 consisted of 63 Active members. The first truck was a 1927 American La France purchased from Greenwood Lake in 1948. The Amity Fire Police was organized in 1950 and serves the company in all functions with a current membership of six. Through several fund raising events, they have been...

Read More

August 1, 1775, the Revolutionary Militia was organized.

Posted by on Aug 1, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – On August 1, 1775, the Revolutionary Militia was organized by the Provincial Congress of New York. Col. John Hathorn of Warwick was head of the Florida Regiment headquartered in Warwick. Composed of the Pond, Sterling, Wantage, and Warwick Companies, it was one of the five regiments in the Fourth Brigade. There were six brigades in New York. John Hathorn, who was teacher, surveyor, assessor, and legislator, had built the Hathorn House just south of the village in 1773. The stone house, large for its time, is now the home of Mr. & Mrs. Wilfred...

Read More