Posts made in October, 2013

Work and Wonder in the Same Story – A “Husking Frolic!”

Posted by on Oct 10, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

  “Warwick in History” – The following was taken from UNDER OLD ROOFTREES by E.B. Hornby. Of all the merrymakers of the olden days the “husking frolic” was perhaps the gayest. the farmer invited his friends and neighbors, who husked all day, and in the evening the barn was swept and garnished, and heaped-up baskets of corn were brought in. Soon the girls of the neighborhood joined the huskers and took part in the work. Whenever a red ear was found, a kiss was claimed. There was a strong suspicion that all the red ears found during the day were laid carefully a...

Read More

Every Political Event Should Include a Clam & Lobster Bake! (1936)

Posted by on Oct 8, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The “Hello Rally” of the Chester-Florida Democratic Clubs held at the Benish Farm on the Warwick-Florida Road was the big political affair of the season. Over 8,000 people attended. Traffic lines were jammed from all corners. The state police were kept busy, but it was a good-natured jolly crowd and the day progressed without any major incidents. The clam and lobster bake, at $1.50 a person, was delicious. It was hats off to Thomas Cullen and Richard McCormick of Chester and Tony Lis and W.V. Sturr of Florida for the huge success of the...

Read More

Rev. John S. Felczak — Long Remembered.

Posted by on Oct 7, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick In History” – On October 7, 1933, the Rev. John S. Felczak was appointed pastor of St. Stanislaus Church in Pine Island.  He was ordained on June 11, 1927, and served parishes in the Bronx, Staten Island, and St. Joseph’s in Florida. While he was pastor in Pine Island he was appointed Domestic Prelate in 1958. Later at the request of  His Eminence, Msgr. John was named pastor of St. Adalbert’s parish in Staten Island. During his 32 years in Pine Island, Fr. John became well-known throughout the area for his unlimited involvement in numerous activities....

Read More

Greenwood Lake A-Buzz with News in 1908!

Posted by on Oct 4, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The following was taken from the STORY OF GREENWOOD LAKE. Greenwood Lake’s first newspaper was published in 1908. The BUZZER was founded by Ratie Marr and Annie Hazen, and operated for forty years. The home of the BUZZER was known as the Bureau, an office and store on the west shore. Marr and Hazen also built the first amusement center, a large two-story building on the corner of Oak Street and Windermere Avenue. This was the gathering place for the young people and sometimes the scene of lively socials. Another publication, a sort of Chamber of...

Read More

Aurora Borealis – Better than Cable in 1777!

Posted by on Oct 3, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In the fall of 1827, a wonderful celestial phenomenon was visible, a magnificent exhibition of the aurora borealis. This is said never to have been surpassed since the years 1772 and 1777, when wondrous appearances were observed in the heavens. The nights of December 6 and 7, 1777, the whole sky flamed with intensely vivid crimson shafts of light of exquisite beauty, and people throughout the nights gazed upon the wonderful sight. This was taken from UNDER OLD ROOFTREES by E.B. Hornby.

Read More