40 Years ago – Volunteer Fire Company in Pine Island was Organized

Posted by on Jun 12, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – Nineteen young men met 40 years ago for the purpose of organizing a volunteer fire company in Pine Island. The first president was Joseph Wisneski; John A. Hucko was secretary; Joseph Brozdowski, treasurer and second lieutenant; Felix Zelaskowski, captain; and Walter Kiliman, first lieutenant. The organization was named the Pulaski Fire Company, and its by-laws were adopted in April 1936 under New York State Law.

In 1937 John Bogdanski was elected the first fire chief. The first apparatus was a used 1924 Dodge with a front end pump, two lengths of suction hose, 400 feet of hose and a twenty foot ladder. The cost was $200 and was borrowed on a note from the bank.

The apparatus was temporarily stored in quarters of the blacksmith shop owned by Felix Zelaskowski on Pulaski Highway and was later transferred to new quarters in the Pine Island School Bus Garage. The present quarters were first occupied in the spring of 1952.

The company has 72 active members and thirteen active honorary members. it celebrated its fortieth anniversary on this day in 1976 with a gala parade that included sixteen companies from Orange and Sussex Counties.

**This was taken from our Bicentennial Minutes of 1976**
Since then the Pine Island Fire Department has a new firehouse located across County Route 1 from the old one…