August 1, 1775, the Revolutionary Militia was organized.

Posted by on Aug 1, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – On August 1, 1775, the Revolutionary Militia was organized by the Provincial Congress of New York. Col. John Hathorn of Warwick was head of the Florida Regiment headquartered in Warwick. Composed of the Pond, Sterling, Wantage, and Warwick Companies, it was one of the five regiments in the Fourth Brigade. There were six brigades in New York.

John Hathorn, who was teacher, surveyor, assessor, and legislator, had built the Hathorn House just south of the village in 1773. The stone house, large for its time, is now the home of Mr. & Mrs. Wilfred Raynor Sr.

(From the Warwick in History Bicentennial Minutes of 1976)