Posts by Sharon

Warwick’s Main Street had a Good Foundation

Posted by on Dec 18, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – About the year 1910, Main Street in the Village of Warwick could boast many places of business. At the corner of West and Main, was George Sayre’s Dry Goods Store with a full porch that was a few steps above street level. The porch was a general meeting place. Next door was Pete Rone’s Barber Shop. Dwight Dutcher’s Jewerly Store came next and then Heinzelman’s Shoe Repair, and Mr. Vollmer’s harness maker’s shop, noted for its fine leather work. Then came Mr. Gullman’s Grocery and Candy Store. The grocery store...

Read More

Eight Generations and Counting

Posted by on Dec 16, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – Ackerman Road, just north of the Village of Warwick, acquired its name from John Ackerman, who purchased 80 acres of land om 1804 from John Gurnee for the sum of 620 British pounds. Another deed records that 42 acres and 30 perches were purchased from Isreal Wood. These two parcels compriser approximately the acreage of the farm maintained by the descendants of John Ackerman today. The barns, still standing, were presumably built in 1804 when John Ackerman started his farming operations. John, and his wife, Martha Bertholf, had eight children, one of...

Read More

Complimentary Dinners

Posted by on Dec 12, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – Toward the end of the previous century, complimentary dinners were given occasionally when a group of gentlemen would gather together to honor one with a sumptuous dinner and many eloquent speeches. Such a dinner was given by more than 50 men in December of 1890 for Grinnell Burt, who was not only president of the railroad but also active in many local business enterprises. Another one was given in 1897 to Livingston Rutherfurd by a few friends. A souvenir menu card has been found which tells what they ate on this latter occasion: blue points on the...

Read More

Main Street Memories

Posted by on Dec 11, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In discussions with Leo J. Foley and Mary Davenport, life long residents of the Town of Warwick, the following are some of the memories they have of the Village of Warwick about the year 1910. Main Street was an unpaved dirt road with maple trees along both sides of the street. A daily occurrence during the summer months was Mike O’Brien’s team of horses pulling a sprinkler tank down Main Street to eliminate the clouds of dust. Most of the traffic at this time was horse and wagon with occasional motor cars. Mr. Foley vividly remembered the...

Read More

Presbyterian Church of Amity — a Moment in Time.

Posted by on Dec 10, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The Centennial of the Presbyterian Church of Amity was celebrated on December 10, 1896. That was the anniversary of the original organization, called the Presbyterian Society of Amity. The centennial day was scheduled with a bountiful dinner at noon, an afternoon session, a fine supper, and an evening program. Several former pastors spoke or sent papers to be read, and some members gave addresses on various aspects of the history of the congregation. Many neighboring pastors participated, including the Rev. Taber Knox of Warwick, the Rev. Thomas...

Read More