Warwick In History Minutes

Presbyterian Church of Amity — a Moment in Time.

Posted by on Dec 10, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The Centennial of the Presbyterian Church of Amity was celebrated on December 10, 1896. That was the anniversary of the original organization, called the Presbyterian Society of Amity. The centennial day was scheduled with a bountiful dinner at noon, an afternoon session, a fine supper, and an evening program. Several former pastors spoke or sent papers to be read, and some members gave addresses on various aspects of the history of the congregation. Many neighboring pastors participated, including the Rev. Taber Knox of Warwick, the Rev. Thomas...

Read More

Lehigh and Hudson River Railway Company, and more. . .

Posted by on Dec 10, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In December of 1917, the Lehigh and Hudson River Railway Company, in common with all important railroads, was taken over by the government as a World War Measure. Telegrahing Director General of Railroads, W.C. McAdoo, Lewis A. Riley, president of the L & H, said, “This company will make every effort to promote efficiency in moving traffic and will cooperate in every way so as to bring this war to a successful conclusion”. There were troop movements, the guarding of bridges, and Liberty Bond compaigns to which both company and its...

Read More

1926 Roads Encircle Greenwood Lake!

Posted by on Dec 6, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In December, 1925, they were showing some very good moving pictures at the Parish House in Greenwood Lake every Saturday night, and they were appreciated by everyone. There were many people who did not have a chance to go to Warwick to see the pictures, and those who could did not like the long ride in cold and stormy weather; so they were glad to have pictures at the lake once more. Greenwood Lakers were also looking forward to 1926, as the year when they would have roads going completely around the lake. Both New York and New Jersey had promised...

Read More

Warwick — Queen Village

Posted by on Dec 5, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The following was taken from a supplement to THE WARWICK ADVERTISER of December 5, 1907. The growth of our town has been steady and solid. Supported by farming territory and carefully managed industrial plants, it gives every promise of continuing without serious interruption.   The business men of Warwick realize these facts and are keeping prepared for the increasing trade; never have they offered better advanages. Our farms are increasing in value and profit; our industries are growing; the number of people who find a pleasant home here is becoming...

Read More

Days of the ice harvest ends. .

Posted by on Dec 4, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The following was taken from the STORY OF GREENWOOD LAKE. In recalling his days with the ice crews, Vincent Detro said that by the time the horses and sled got to Sterling Forest to begin the day’s work, it was still dark, but the darkness had the arly stages of daylight around the fringes. The day would last up to ten o’clock or even midnight, and in those days the temperatures stayed in the teens or low twenties. For all this they got $1.00 per day. A few of the old timers also recall with a smile, that in addition to the $1.00 a day,...

Read More

Emergency Call to Action, 1932 – 1969

Posted by on Dec 3, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The State School Fire Company was started in December of 1932, with Gary Morton as Chief. At that time, there was no truck or company.  In 1934, the school received a 1934 Ford chassis with a front mounted Sanford Pump. Mr. George Quackenbush was then appointed assistant chief and remained fire chief until 1958. The purpose of the organization was to provide fire and emergency protection for the Warwick State School until help arrived from the Warwick Fire Department. In 1969 the “George Quackenbush Engine Company” became part of the...

Read More