The Christian Day School of St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was located a few hundred feet from the church. (more)

Posted by on Apr 30, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | Comments Off on The Christian Day School of St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was located a few hundred feet from the church. (more)

Warwick in History” – The Christian Day School of St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was located a few hundred feet from the church. From 1910 to 1923, it had one room, and then two rooms until 1933.
Along with the 3 “R’s”, the teachers were expected to teach religion and German. It was quite a challenge, since most of the children generally knew only the German dialect. They were expected… to learn catechism in German and English and many of them were confirmed in German.
The event of the year was the Christmas Eve program which was held in German. A large “Tannenbaum” was placed in front of the church near the pulpit and lighted candles were on the tree.
The school was closed on April 30, 1933, when members began to send their children to public schools. Others were financially unable to carry on the burden of a private parochial school.