First Church Building Erected in the Village – 1854

Posted by on Jun 6, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The following was taken from THE RISING STAR published in Bellvale in 1889:

The first Methodist Church organization here was a class in connection with the New Windsor Circuit, in 1809. Meetings were held at William Wisner’s and Ananias Wilson’s, and afterwards in the upper part of the schoolhouse known as the “tabernacle.”

The first church edifice which adorned our village was erected in 1853 and dedicated in 1854. The following were the trustees: Colvin Bradner, Townsend Wright, Samuel Wilson, William H. Wisner, Benjamin H. Bennett, Thomas Brooks and John R. Wilson. In 1852 the Rev. A. C. Fields and the Rev. J. Millard, the pastors of the circuit, started the subscription to build the church.