Clinton Wheeler Wisner (1856-1904), Mayor of the Village for three terms, was credited with the restoration of Warwick’s natural charm with tree and flower planting, installing sidewalks, as well as his architectural contribution in designing two fire houses, a church, the Red Swan Inn, the railroad station, the cemetery gates and several residences. On Sunday afternoon, February 24, at 4:00 pm Warwick Town Historian Dr. Richard Hull and Village Historian Jean Beattie May will present a program on the Wisner Family, one of Warwick’s very first families to settle in Warwick in 1713. It will be held at the A. W. Buckbee Center at 2 Colonial Ave., Warwick. Dr. Hull will present a background look at Warwick in that early period and the impact that members of the Wisner family had on Warwick in the years following. Jean May will give a slide presentation and speak about Clinton Wisner and his many accomplishments in his short life.
Among Wisner’s formidable talents was his love of the art of driving horses. He was noted as an artist on every aspect of driving from his harness and teams to the appointment of his rigs, the holding of his reins over the horses, whether a single horse, a tandem or a team or four-in-hand, following the strictest rules. This also led him to study the local roads. He was a member of the Orange County Construction Company, which had put in most of the good roads in the County.
The 1902 picture shows the Wisner four-in-hand coach in front one of the houses he designed, the Avon, on Clinton Avenue, about to depart on an outing to Goshen for dinner at the St. Elmo Inn. A regular schedule of trips during the summer was offered by Clinton Wisner and his half-brother, Horatio to promote Warwick as a tourist spot and show off the beauty of the Village and the countryside.
For reservations to the Historical Society event, please call 845-986-3236 or e-mail email@example.com. Admission is $10.00; refreshments will be served.