Congratulations! On this day in 1938 ground was broken for St. Anthony’s Hospital.

Posted by on Jun 7, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – On this day in 1938 ground was broken for St. Anthony’s Hospital. The Franciscan Sisters of the Poor, who had been in Warwick since 1925 working with the poor and hoping to have a hospital where their work could be carried on, purchased the J. C. Babcock home on Maple Avenue in June of 1937. This spacious residence called “Arches”, had been built in 1892 by Grinnell Burt,¬†first president of the Lehigh and Hudson River Railway Company.

Working with area doctors just before 1938, the sisters initiated plans for a four-story patient wing. It had at first been thought that the mansion could be used for a 25 bed hospital. Later it was decided that the best course would be to erect a fireproof unit for patients and use the house as the administration building.

The wing was to be 91 feet by 42 feet with a capacity of about 50 beds and a complete maternity department. An elevator to serve both buildings was to be constructed between them. The sisters’ goal was to have this hospital one of the best.