A Cornerstone in the Community — Literally!

Posted by on Jan 14, 2014 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – One of the oldest family-owned businesses in Warwick is the insurance firm of John W. Sanford & Son, located on Main Street in the Village of Warwick. In 1890, John W. Sanford started a real estate and insurance business. In 1930, after college, Mr. Sanford’s son, John Sanford Jr., joined the insurance business and later became a partner.

Several small agencies were acquired between that date and World War II when John Jr. left for four years active duty in the Navy. Mr. Sanford Sr. died in December of 1942 and the business was carried on by Miss Louise Martin, the secretary, and Mrs. John Sanford Jr. until the war’s end.

In 1960, John W. Sanford III joined the firm and the business was incorporated. The VanDuzer Agency was purchased, thus establishing a continuance of insurance business from 1864.