Eight Generations and Counting

Posted by on Dec 16, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – Ackerman Road, just north of the Village of Warwick, acquired its name from John Ackerman, who purchased 80 acres of land om 1804 from John Gurnee for the sum of 620 British pounds. Another deed records that 42 acres and 30 perches were purchased from Isreal Wood. These two parcels compriser approximately the acreage of the farm maintained by the descendants of John Ackerman today.

The barns, still standing, were presumably built in 1804 when John Ackerman started his farming operations. John, and his wife, Martha Bertholf, had eight children, one of whom was James Ackerman, who was born in 1811. James built the present farmhouse in 1842.

James Denton Baird, born in 1947, and great, great, great grandson of John Ackerman, now lives in the farmhouse with his wife, Nancy Sinsabaugh, and two children, the eighth generation to reside on the parcel of land purchased by John Ackerman.