The Historical Society of the Town of Warwick — Seal by Ames & Rollinson

Posted by on Aug 5, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The seal of the Historical Society of the Town of Warwick was designed by Ames & Rollinson of New York City from photographs furnished by the committee of the society. It was the aim of the society to assemble some of the characteristic features of the Town of Warwick and perpetuate them in the seal.

In the foreground is the familiar Wawayanda Creek spanned by the Old Stone Bridge, which gave its name for more than two generations to that locality. The bridge was built in 1835 and stones used in the construction of the bridge were taken from what remained of the dam of Israel Wood’s grist mill. The name of Stone Bridge was changed to Wisner during the early 1900’s. In the background of the seal is seen the familiar sky line of Mount Adam and Mount Eve. Encircling the seal is the great West Point Chain, the chain that never broke, forged at Sterling Furnace during the Revolutionary War.

 
                                                                                              Photo: "Warwick in History" - The seal of the Historical Society of the Town of Warwick was designed by Ames & Rollinson of New York City from photographs furnished by the committee of the society.  It was the aim of the society to assemble some of the characteristic features of the Town of Warwick and perpetuate them in the seal.

In the foreground is the familiar Wawayanda Creek spanned by the Old Stone Bridge, which gave its name for more than two generations to that locality.  The bridge was built in 1835 and stones used in the construction of the bridge were taken from what remained of the dam of Israel Wood's grist mill.  The name of Stone Bridge was changed to Wisner during the early 1900's.  In the background of the seal is seen the familiar sky line of Mount Adam and Mount Eve.  Encircling the seal is the great West Point Chain, the chain that never broke, forged at Sterling Furnace during the Revolutionary War.