Incorporation of the Village of Florida (and more)

Posted by on Aug 6, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – Clinton Mars, the Rev. Vincent J Raith, Michael Gurda, Louis Gordon, Thomas Howell, Dr. Jesse Mars, John Miller, and Charles W. Barry joined with others two years before World War II in 1939 to start the wheels rolling toward the incorporation of the Village of Florida. Hundreds of reports, fiscal and financial, had been assembled when the nation plunged into war and the entire project was interrupted. 

Weeks after the hostility, supporters gained such momentum that the incorporation became a fact before the first anniversary of the Japanese surrender. Florida became the fifteenth incorporated village in Orange County and the 1600th in the State of New York on August 6, 1946. The first mayor was Stanley Meduski; John J. Nowak, Edward Turchen, Frank Palmer Sr., and C. E. Couser were the first trustees.