In March of 1923, a notice was published in the GREENWOOD LAKE BUZZER stating, (more)

Posted by on Aug 14, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In March of 1923, a notice was published in the GREENWOOD LAKE BUZZER stating, “Anyone interested in fire protection for this area, please attend the meeting in Good Shepherd Church.” The Greenwood lake Fire Department was officially organized with 56 members and Jacob C. Deer was elected chief.

In June of 1971, the Greenwood Lake Volunteer Fire Department hosted a “wetdown” for the new firehouse, a four-bay brick building desperately needed to house the new equipment which had outgrown the original two-bay, wood frame fire house built in the first year of its organization. To honor their first chief, the meeting room of the new fire house was dedicated as the “Jake Deer” Room.

After the business of the department is finished, the men enjoy the good fellowship of cards, food and drink in the “Jake Deer” Room. The nature of most volunteer fire departments is hard work, the business of the company, and then the comradeship which follows.