Pine Island became a part of the Town of Warwick in 1788.(more)

Posted by on May 21, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – Pine Island became a part of the Town of Warwick in 1788. Title to the soil is derived from the Wawayanda Patent. This Indian deed of 1702-1703 was made out to twelve white men, one of whom was John Merritt. Merritt’s Island in Pine Island still bears the name.

John Everett and Samuel Clowes were induced to take charge of the settlement of the patent. They appear to have been land speculators, but were nevertheless direct agents in inducing immigration and the founding of prosperous towns. As early as 1714 they laid out the Town of Goshen, of which Pine Island was then a part. Pioneer settlers gave the name “Drowned Lands” to the land because it was inundated with the overflow of the Wallkill River with the exception of elevated tracts, which contain 40 to 200 acres.