Polish Immigrants founded St. Stanislaus Church

Posted by on May 31, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The St. Stanislaus Roman Catholic Church of Pine Island was incorporated on this date in 1912 under New York State law, and its cornerstone was blessed on October 12 of the same year. The church was completed the following year and was blessed upon completion by the Eminence, the late John Cardinal Fahey, Archbishop of New York.

Before the church was erected, the people of the Mission Lands rode to St. Joseph’s Church in Florida to attend mass. Before that church was built, some drove to Goshen to attend St. John’s Roman Catholic Church there. 

The founding of St. Stanislaus Church can be attributed to 40 pioneers, Polish immigrants, who settled in the Mission Lands area. The church is dedicated to St. Stanislaus, bishop and martyr, patron of Poland.

The first trustees of the church were John J. Brozdowski and Andrew J. Bogdanski, Sr. Six women from the parish have entered the vineyard of Christ as nuns; one native son, the late Rev. Stanislaus B. Uszenski, was ordained a priest on June 7, 1941.