Presbyterian Church of Amity — a Moment in Time.

Posted by on Dec 10, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The Centennial of the Presbyterian Church of Amity was celebrated on December 10, 1896. That was the anniversary of the original organization, called the Presbyterian Society of Amity.

The centennial day was scheduled with a bountiful dinner at noon, an afternoon session, a fine supper, and an evening program. Several former pastors spoke or sent papers to be read, and some members gave addresses on various aspects of the history of the congregation. Many neighboring pastors participated, including the Rev. Taber Knox of Warwick, the Rev. Thomas Grenelle of Glenwood and the Rev. D. F. Bonner of Florida, as well as others from greater distances.

The pastor at Amity in 1896 was the Rev. R. H. Craig. Remarkable about the church was the fact that, out of the first 100 years, 60 years were guided by a father and son: the Rev. William Timlow from 1818 to 1858, and the Rev. Daniel Timlow from 1865 to 1885. Timlow Lane at Amity is named for these men.