Shingle House Restoration — History in the making!

Posted by on Feb 28, 2014 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – Daniel Burt Jr. of Warwick and Martha Bradner, from what is now Wisner, were married on January 25, 1770, and moved into the Old Shingle House on Forester Avenue. The house was begun in 1764 and was the first structure in the village.

Daniel Jr’s father and his uncle, Benjamin Burt, had first seen Warwick in 1746 when they came from Ridgefield, Connecticut, and bought land from Benjamin Aske, one of the original grantees under the Wawayanda Patent. 

In 1760 Daniel Burt Sr. after selling his original land, the present Welling Farm, and the land in Bellvale, obtained 190 acres in Warwick where he built his own house and the Old Shingle House for his son. The house is a well-preserve example of the saltbox type.

 
 
                                                                        Photo: "Warwick in History" - Daniel Burt Jr. of Warwick and Martha Bradner, from what is now Wisner, were married on January 25, 1770, and moved into the Old Shingle House on Forester Avenue.  The house was begun in 1764 and was the first structure in the village.

Daniel Jr's father and his uncle, Benjamin Burt, had first seen Warwick in 1746 when they came from Ridgefield, Connecticut, and bought land from Benjamin Aske, one of the original grantees under the Wawayanda Patent.  

In 1760 Daniel Burt Sr. after selling his original land, the present Welling Farm, and the land in Bellvale, obtained 190 acres in Warwick where he built his own house and the Old Shingle House for his son.  The house is a well-preserve example of the saltbox type.

**The Society is currently getting ready to start some much needed restoration on the Old Shingle House (the oldest building in Warwick). Donations for this restoration project are gratefully accepted.  Please call the office for more details.**

**The Society is currently getting ready to start some much needed restoration on the Old Shingle House (the oldest building in Warwick). Donations for this restoration project are gratefully accepted. Please call the office for more details.**