St. Stephen’s Roman Catholic Church

Posted by on Oct 31, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The year of 1903 was a memorable one for the congregation of St. Stephen’s Roman Catholic Church in Warwick. It was during that year that their present stone church building was erected, at a cost of $16,000 under the leadership of the Rev. P.J. Minogue.

The cornerstone had been laid in the spring at an impressive outdoor ceremony. The Rev. S.J. Nowak of Florida and the Rev. Fr. Malony of Chester were also present. Music was provided by the Warwick Cornet Band and the choirs of St. Stephen’s and St. Edward’s.

In the fall of 1903 came the dedication of the new structure. Before that, St. Stephen’s Congregation had worshiped in a small building on Church Street which had been purchased from the Methodists in 1867. The Second Presbyterian Church in Florida had been purchased in 1887 for St. Edward’s congregation.

At St. Stephen’s dedication, Archbishop Farley confirmed a class of 105, including members from the congregation in Florida.