Warwick Cemetary gate is a landmark at the edge of the Village of Warwick. . .

Posted by on Dec 2, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – The Warwick Cemetery Association has now rounded out 110 years of existence, having been incorporated on Nov. 28, 1866. The following year it made its first purchase of land from Thomas and John L. Welling. These grounds were laid out under the direction of an engineer and landscape gardener. They were dedicated with public ceremonies, which were held in July of 1867, after which a large sale of lots took place.

For many years, a caretaker’s lodge stood near the main entrance. The gate itself is a landmark at the edge of the Village of Warwick.

The original trustees in the 1866 certificate were Thomas Vandervort, Gabriel Wisner, Grinnell Burt, W.D. Irwin, Richard Wisner, Thomas Welling, G.W. Sanford, C.J. Lazear and Israel Willersdorf. George W. Sanford served as president of the Warwick Cemetery Association for its first 35 years; and most recently, Tusten VanDuzer has been president.

**Taken from the 1976 Bicentennial Minutes**