Warwick United Methodist Church from 1867 to the Present. . .

Posted by on Sep 12, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – In 1867, the Warwick Methodist congregation built the brick church on Main Street. The church building and Main Street itself have watched together the passing parade of the life of the village.

Groups of Methodists had met in private homes for many years before 1840, at which time regular services began to be held by riders in the Newburgh circuit. At first they gathered in the ballroom of a tavern owned by Thomas Ward. Later, a tent in an orchard housed their meetings. By 1842, the Methodists had progressed to a building near the north corner of Church Street and Forester Avenue. That was sold in 1867 when they moved to tree-shaded main Street in the Village of Warwick.

From tavern to tent, from tent to wood and brick, the congregation is now in its third building on Forester Avenue, and is also more than a third of the way into its second century as the Warwick Methodist Church.

 
Photo: "Warwick in History" - In 1867, the Warwick Methodist congregation built the brick church on Main Street.  The church building and Main Street itself have watched together the passing parade of the life of the village.

Groups of Methodists had met in private homes for many years before 1840, at which time regular services began to be held by riders in the Newburgh circuit.  At first they gathered in the ballroom of a tavern owned by Thomas Ward.  later, a tent in an orchard housed their meetings.  By 1842, the Methodists had progressed to a building near the north corner of Church Street and Forester Avenue.  That was sold in 1867 when they moved to tree-shaded main Street in the Village of Warwick.

From tavern to tent, from tent to wood and brick, the congregation is now in its third building on Forester Avenue, and is also more than a third of the way into its second century as the Warwick Methodist Church.