The YMCA Steps Up to the Plate in 1926

Posted by on Nov 1, 2013 in Warwick In History Minutes | 0 comments

“Warwick in History” – On November 1, 1926, a meeting was called at the Y.M.C.A. rooms in Warwick to launch a Lehigh and Hudson River Railway Company Athletic Association. A temporary committee, composed of John Barry, Walter Norris, A.L. Perry, and L.R. Chamberlain, launched the association “with what looks like a firm foundation and bright future.” There had been much talk among the employees of the railroad to form such a group since the Erie Baseball Team came to Warwick to play.

There would be basketball teams with cardinal red suits to play against each other in order to find the best players to form a team for competition with outside talent. A baseball team would be formed in the spring. Every employee and official of the L & H would be eligible for membership, regardless of age or sex.

H.G. Pierson was elected president of the Association; Everett Wilfred Carr was the treasurer.